Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, May 05, 2011

Another 3 am Nursing Ramble or Things You Constantly Hear But Sometimes Wish People Wouldn't Say When You Are Lacking Sleep With a Newborn

I understand people are usually just making conversation when they ask the following questions or make these comments but seriously folks, sometimes lack of sleep just makes me want to scream when I have to reply to such things as:

When are you having another?

Seriously??? Okay, I may have a plan in my head (not really) but I just had a baby. Let me enjoy him and the fleeting time he is a newborn. At this moment, I can't even fathom doing this ever again!

He's still hungry/again?

Yes!!! And I'm going to nurse him because he is hungry. Newborns can nurse every 2 hours. The dark circles under my eyes prove it. And every 2 hours means he wakes up, nurses for an hour then I have about another hour until he feeds again. Eat, pee, poop, sleep. That's what newborns do!

Is he sleeping through the night yet?

Again, see the dark circles under my eyes. And he's 7 weeks old. That should answer your question.
Some people are lucky if their 3 year old sleeps through the night.

Who does he look like?

He looks like himself! He's a mix of our DNA so he's got a combo of both our features, right?
For all I know, that crease in his ear came from Great Grandpa. (And no, Patrick doesn't really have a crease in his ear, I'm just trying to make a point!)

He's got blue eyes!

Well, most babies are born with blue eyes. They could change colour well past a year old. Although in his case, not likely since I have blue eyes and Tim has grey/green eyes (with brown spot.)

That's a lot of spit up!

Baby has a tiny stomach. Mommy might have a quick flow. The overflow must go somewhere! Spit up happens. That's what receiving blankets and face cloths are for. And I try not to wear black too much at this stage.

Is he smiling?

Okay, at this point, 7 weeks, it is a real smile, sometimes. He can focus a little close up and smile back. But those newborn smiles? That's gas. Cute, but not a real smile!

Do you need anything?

Specifically, no. But I'll take any help I can get. So don't just ask, offer! In fact, insist! Because I don't really have enough brain function to figure out what I need right now.

You look tired.

How observant of you.

You look great.

Thank you, but really, it's an illusion. I feel like shit!

He's so big/tiny

He was born at 8lb 13 oz. Not overly huge but that head passed through me so he's ginormous by my standards!



That's about all that comes to mind at the moment and Patrick seems to be done so I'm going back to bed now.

Too bad I never posted about the annoying things people say when you are pregnant. I guess I'll have to have another one so I can do that. Hardee har har!

No comments: