Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Working girl

So I'm sure you've all been wondering how the new job is going?!
The first day was quite busy production-wise so we had lots of samples to analyze. I'm working in the quality-control (QC) department so as soon as a production batch is completed downstairs, the operator brings us a sample which we have to test and approve as quickly as possible so the goods can then go for packaging.
I've been mixing up batches of soups and sauces and tasting them and looking at colour, viscosity and a few other things.
The president's son, Robert, is eventually going to take over the business so he's been spending time in every department learning the ropes. Last week he was in QC, so he & I were training together. Which was good as I didn't feel all eyes were just on me. I think it made my co-workers a little more patient too and Robert & I could help each other out if we couldn't exactly remember what procedure came next.
I've only learnt one side of things so far - finished products. Once I get this down pat (and my co-worker Suzanne comes back from vacation), they are going to show me how to do the testing on raw materials received.
But I must be doing okay because they trust me enough to leave me alone for the last half hour and close up the lab by myself.
I've been starting at 7:30 (my regular hours will be 8 to 4) which means I have to leave the house at 6:10 to catch the bus which means I have to get up at 5:10 (!)
Actaully, it hasn't been too bad, as long as I get to bed at a reasonable hour.
I won't mention the fact that I dozed off a couple of times last night while watching Prison Break!
My co-workers are quite pleasant and good teachers so all is pretty good so far.
Things will be even better on Thursday when I get paid!

No comments: