Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

What could have been but never was or ever shall be

Kieran and I have been going to a playgroup in NDG since the beginning of February. It's basically a big free for all, lots of toys and play structures laid out in a church basement. Lots of fun but somewhat chaotic for the uninitiated. Oh, and the snacks, wow, what a spread they put out!

Anyhow, a few weeks ago, I heard someone call out my name to look up and see my ex-brother-in-law there with his two kids. I recognized his daughter from the previous times we'd been there but since she'd been with her mom, (who I've never met) I had no idea who she was.
It's just weird to see these two children who could have been my niece and nephew. Yet with the way things turned out I have no connection to them whatsoever. It kind of leaves me with a bit of a sense of emptiness.
I saw them all again today and briefly chatted with Marc (the ex-bro-in-law) as he dropped his family off. He made no introductions to his girlfriend. I wonder if later on when she got home whether she asked him who I was. I felt somewhat uncomfortable being around her, knowing who she is and a bit about her family without her knowing who I am. But not enough to approach her and introduce myself or anything. That would have been even more uncomfortable!
Ah the ghosts never seem like they will ever stop haunting me.

No comments: